Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
finding reliable medical practitioners
Hello, just joined.  Looking for a therapist in the greater Philadelphia area (or telehealth) for our 16yo son, who has had anger and depression over the last 4 years or so and has so far been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, ADHD, DMDD.  Has had about 5 therapists so far.  About two years ago started questioning his gender identity, may have been influenced with material online.  No hint before that.

If you are reading this and know somebody, let us know, we'd appreciate it.  Thanks!
(01-Apr-2021, 12:40 AM)Doctor and Mrs. Science Wrote: Hello, just joined.  Looking for a therapist in the greater Philadelphia area (or telehealth) for our 16yo son, who has had anger and depression over the last 4 years or so and has so far been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, ADHD, DMDD.  Has had about 5 therapists so far.  About two years ago started questioning his gender identity, may have been influenced with material online.  No hint before that.

If you are reading this and know somebody, let us know, we'd appreciate it.  Thanks!
I do not have a therapist recommendation. I just wanted to say I am sorry for  your son's struggles. I also have 14 year old son, that also started questioning his gender out of the blue and he now identify as trans. Even though I has been called homophobic  and other things because I keep thinking and saying, that I do want to be sure he is what he 
is because of real nature or anything other that peer and media influence.
Has anyone worked with an open minded therapist in the Atlanta area?
Looking for a therapist in the San Antonio area that follows an an exploratory approach addressing depression, anxiety, trauma, etc. instead of assuming transition will address these issues. Please message me any information. Thanks.
15yo son, highly gifted
Hi, I just joined. I am looking for a Therapist in Seattle or surrounding area. My daughter spent all last year very lonely, depressed, sad... We’ve had a lot of trauma last year/deaths,cancer...Now she is says she feels more like a boy than girl. I’d like to find someone who can help her with this struggle.
(31-Mar-2018, 05:45 PM)candycigs Wrote: My daughters therapist just got back with me with a referral. I will PM you.
Hello! My teen is 17, identifies as transgender, and suffers from anxiety and gender dysphoria.  I am currently looking for a therapist who could work on coping mechanisms for gender dysphoria and anxiety. I am also looking for a psychiatrist who could prescribe medication. Do you still have referrals either for someone in the Denver area or for someone who is willing to work with patients online through video appointments? Thanks!

(20-Oct-2019, 07:05 PM)MothersLove Wrote:
(29-Mar-2018, 08:10 PM)tamara Wrote: I have a fourteen-year old who started to have sudden onset gender dysphoria at age thirteen along with identifying from that time as a trans guy. My teen has a set of other issues as well, particularly anxiety attacks and depression. I would like to find a psychiatrist in the Denver metro area who could work with these other issues and consider whether to recommend antidepressants. A psychologist or analyst who would be committed to discussing possible non-medical ways of dealing with the dysphoria, depression, and anxiety would also be helpful. I am very concerned about what I have heard about hormones and surgeries being recommended to teens, and would like to avoid health care practitioners who would steer my teen in that direction. Does anybody know of reliable psychiatrists or other health care practitioners in the Denver metro area? On a broader note, what experiences have you all had with helping a trans identified teen with anxiety, depression, and gender dysphoria, and have you found medical practitioners who were committed to examining other avenues than referrals to clinics for hormones and surgeries?  
Tamara,
I am also looking for providers in the Denver area. My 16 year old daughter, who suffers from anxiety and depression, also just told us she is trans.  I am happy to share my research with you. Have you had any luck finding help?
MothersLove

I am also looking for providers in the Denver area.  I am happy to share my research with others in Denver looking for therapists as well.

My 16 year old daughter just told us she is trans, she also suffers from depression, anxiety and is completely addicted to the internet.  I feel like she is a very classic case of ROGD and I am very nervous about finding the right support for her. 

I am also interested in learning more about attachment parenting.  I feel like she turned to the internet in 2015 when my husband and I were going through a very rough time in our marriage, I feel like she drifted away when we were guilty of being emotionally unavailable during a very pivotal time in her life. We need guidance in trying to reconnect with her.

I have a 17-year old who suffers from gender dysphoria and anxiety. I am looking for therapist that my teen could talk to as well as a psychiatrist who could prescribe medications for anxiety. We live in the Denver area, but online appointments are also increasingly a possibility given how many therapists now work online due to the pandemic. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
Hi - I am looking for a therapist in the NYC metro area ( Jersey side ) for my child who just turned 14.  Five months ago my daughter declared she was trans.  She is now he and has a new name and is single minded in his/her desire for testosterone.  She also has ADHD, depression, anxiety and a handful of sensory issues.   I am looking for a clinician who is willing to neither affirm or deny the trans identity.  Also, we told our child we would seek guidance from a gender clinic.  Does anyone know which one has the longest waiting list?  Our goal is for our child to be who they need to be but get the benefit of a natural puberty and wait to make any medical interventions.  Thanks.
Hello,
I am looking for a therapist for my daughter (18), she is requesting to see a therapist but I am afraid. My daughter came out as a lesbian 1.5 years ago (after breaking up with her boyfriend - never showed any interest in girls prior), she has since stopped wearing dresses and only wears boys clothes, and cut her hair short. She says she is happy being a girl, but feels more confident in boy clothes. I have been accepting, but sad, and trying to be supportive even though I don't believe this is "who" she truly is...I am afraid that a therapist will see her and push her to thinking she wants to be a boy instead of a "butch" gay girl.

Any recommendations near Raleigh/Durham? We are south of there but willing to drive anywhere. 

Thank you.
So many of us searching for help in Denver!!! Has *anyone* found someone promising yet?
(07-May-2021, 04:29 PM)Frankie Wrote: Hi - I am looking for a therapist in the NYC metro area ( Jersey side ) for my child who just turned 14.  Five months ago my daughter declared she was trans.  She is now he and has a new name and is single minded in his/her desire for testosterone.  She also has ADHD, depression, anxiety and a handful of sensory issues.   I am looking for a clinician who is willing to neither affirm or deny the trans identity.  Also, we told our child we would seek guidance from a gender clinic.  Does anyone know which one has the longest waiting list?  Our goal is for our child to be who they need to be but get the benefit of a natural puberty and wait to make any medical interventions.  Thanks.
Hi Frankie,
Stay out of gender clinics if you can.  they tend to be run by very young inexperienced grad school students who are trained in 1 day by WPATH.  Find a CBT based therapist who can treat her for depression and anxiety (make it someone no-nonsense with a ton of experience) but bring up the trans issue first, say that you don't affirm it and that you suspect is her way of dealing with her difficulties, see if they will set it aside.  Your child is 14, tell her you cannot find a good gender clinic and take her to someone who can help her.  Also, find out what she's looking at online.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.