Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Discussion Topics
Alana, you might get a better response if you can move this to “our stories section. I bet that the environment he is in has lead him to this decision. San Francisco has a huge trans community. Your best bet would be to get him out of California.
(02-Oct-2018, 11:14 PM)Condemned Wrote: Alana, you might get a better response if you can move this to “our stories section. I bet that the environment he is in has lead him to this decision. San Francisco has a huge trans community. Your best bet would be to get him out of California.

Thanks so much for replying so quickly. I'll move the post, but don't think I could convince my son to leave CA. He works for a small company about an hour away from SF and hasn't been exposed to Trans people, yet. I don't know what to think, I'm just scared to death for him.
Like many of you, I am hoping that I found a forum to voice my frustrations and fear surrounding my teenager coming out as “trans.”  As a parent, I love my child and want nothing more than her happiness, but am completely baffled by the change.  There was never any sign or indication that this was going to happen but we do believe that being an outsider and finding an accepting group, along with internet influences, did play some part.  
We’ve balked and called bull and sought counseling and asked for help all with the same result.   We waited almost a year to get into Washington Children’s Hospital only to find a doctor that was much more interested in exploiting our “trans” child and encouraging hormones and changes we are not comfortable with rather than trying to explore where this revelation came from?  
Our child has surely suffered some level of anxiety/depression associated with an early diagnosis of ADD/ADHD.  
We have struggled with the inability to limit internet access, despite being an IT professional.  They can be very creative when they want something.  I’ve found old phones in her room, and have always complained about the local cable company that advertises a public signal (that I cannot block.).  
I am really looking for support/information/encouragement in a group of like minded people who really just want the best for their children and are struggling with a situation that was never in the “What to Expect When You are Expecting” book!
This is my first time on this site, I fear I won’t get any sleep tonight, too much good stuff to read. Four weeks ago our 17 y/o son told me he feels like a girl. He has anxiety and OCD.  We have seen a psych dr. who just confirmed his feelings and validated my concerns but I wanted the dr. to question my sons feelings more and maybe he did but I wouldn’t know b/c he met with my son alone for the first hour. After reading the posts, I don’t feel so alone, so thank you everyone for sharing. I have an overwhelming sense of dread, hopelessness and deep sadness. I feel like I am fighting for my son’s life. I’m not ready to lose my son and I don’t think he truly is a girl. He never expressed feelings, as a child, of feeling like a girl, he never disliked his male body parts, he never displayed any of the other symptoms of truly transgender, this just came out of the blue( or should I say pink? LOL). I have a feeling I will find a lot of good advice on this site. Glad I’m here but I am sorry we are all here!
Hi Momortwo, and welcome. I'm sorry for what your son and you are going through. Your membership has been activated and you can now access all areas of the forum, including the members-only areas.

I hope you find some good advice and find the site helpful.
(04-Dec-2018, 05:13 AM)Momortwo Wrote: This is my first time on this site, I fear I won’t get any sleep tonight, too much good stuff to read. Four weeks ago our 17 y/o son told me he feels like a girl. He has anxiety and OCD.  We have seen a psych dr. who just confirmed his feelings and validated my concerns but I wanted the dr. to question my sons feelings more and maybe he did but I wouldn’t know b/c he met with my son alone for the first hour. After reading the posts, I don’t feel so alone, so thank you everyone for sharing. I have an overwhelming sense of dread, hopelessness and deep sadness. I feel like I am fighting for my son’s life. I’m not ready to lose my son and I don’t think he truly is a girl. He never expressed feelings, as a child, of feeling like a girl, he never disliked his male body parts, he never displayed any of the other symptoms of truly transgender, this just came out of the blue( or should I say pink? LOL). I have a feeling I will find a lot of good advice on this site. Glad I’m here but I am sorry we are all here!

Greetings - 
Regrettably, I'm new here too.
I'm sorry about your situation and yes, I was up late reading lots of things and am very encouraged by others' stories. 

My son age 20 came out a few months ago. He doesn't live at home and I think he's been "out" longer than we knew about. 
He also has anxiety/depression and anorexia and is SO thin -->insert very sad face here<--

I hope we can gather new info and support for this very crazy time in life.

-Garland

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.