Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
finding reliable medical practitioners
My 13 year old daughter began expressing gender dysphoria at 11, just before her father passed away. She was already suffering with depression and anxiety and under the care of a psychiatrist and a pediatric therapist. She had never expressed a discomfort in her body at all to me prior to this, and it was never a topic discussed in therapy or psychiatric check in appointments. My child has a history of obsessive trend behavior, and so that is what I am thinking this is.  I have gone through 3 therapists, and a family therapist and everyone seems hell bent on affirmative care.  I have allowed my child to dress in a manner that makes them comfortable and we use a different name, but she needs someone to help her understand WHY she is having these feelings.  I have already had multiple doctors and psych try to get me setup with hormones and P blockers, and it is insane. So I need to find a psychiatrist and therapist in or near Gastonia, NC.  Suggestions needed!
(09-Jun-2022, 03:54 PM)lrebaglia Wrote: My 13 year old daughter began expressing gender dysphoria at 11, just before her father passed away. She was already suffering with depression and anxiety and under the care of a psychiatrist and a pediatric therapist. She had never expressed a discomfort in her body at all to me prior to this, and it was never a topic discussed in therapy or psychiatric check in appointments. My child has a history of obsessive trend behavior, and so that is what I am thinking this is.  I have gone through 3 therapists, and a family therapist and everyone seems hell bent on affirmative care.  I have allowed my child to dress in a manner that makes them comfortable and we use a different name, but she needs someone to help her understand WHY she is having these feelings.  I have already had multiple doctors and psych try to get me setup with hormones and P blockers, and it is insane. So I need to find a psychiatrist and therapist in or near Gastonia, NC.  Suggestions needed!

Hello, Irebaglia, and welcome to the forum. Your account has been activated.

The immediate push for blockers and hormones is insane, isn't it? 

Now that your membership has been activated, I encourage you to post your question in the membrs-only area, since members don't frequent this public area too often. Nonaffimring clinicians can be difficult to find, but hopefully a fellow parent on the board will have someone to recommend. 

If you end up having to find clinicians on your own, there is advice for going about this in some of the members-only threads, and also there is some helpful guidance here: https://genderexploratory.com/browse/

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, but glad you found the board. I hope you find it helpful.

Best wishes.
(04-Apr-2022, 07:25 PM)rodril123 Wrote: hello - does anyone have any recommendations for non-affirming therapists in San Diego for my 13 year old daughter who has come out as a trangender male?  She is seeing a therapist now but his approach is to affirm the gender while they work through "why" she feels that way.  I feel she needs someone that helps her understand that confusing feelings are normal and helps her learn to be comfortable with herself.
Hi there, did you ever find a therapist for your child? Do you mind sharing their contact info? thanks!
Need advice on psychologist psychiatrist and therapist in Florida.  I am in desperate mode as my son went online for HRT from planned parenthood with no counseling no medical history no physical and baseline blood work done. He is 23 with ASD Aspergers no friends in RL and was coerced into believes he is trans from online chat groups. Lots more to his background. Please help!!
(13-Jun-2022, 11:57 AM)Turmoil Wrote: Need advice on psychologist psychiatrist and therapist in Florida.  I am in desperate mode as my son went online for HRT from planned parenthood with no counseling no medical history no physical and baseline blood work done. He is 23 with ASD Aspergers no friends in RL and was coerced into believes he is trans from online chat groups. Lots more to his background. Please help!!

Hello, Turmoil.

Welcome to the forum. Your account has been activated.

Now that your membership has been activated, I encourage you to post your question in the members-only area, since members don't frequent this public area too often. Nonaffimring clinicians can be difficult to find, but hopefully a fellow parent on the board will have someone to recommend. 

If you end up having to find clinicians on your own, there is advice for going about this in some of the members-only threads, and also there is some helpful guidance here: https://genderexploratory.com/browse/

Another suggestion is to join Parents of ROGDKids. This organization puts you in touch with other parents in your area, and those parents may have someone to recommend. PROGDK also has an online community where screened parents can discuss issues relating specifically to adult sons. You will find a LOT of other parents in your same situation and a LOT of support. To join, go to the link below and click on the red bar at the top to join and fill out the questionnaire. All members are vetted by a couple of volunteers, so please be patient, as the vetting process can take several weeks.
https://www.parentsofrogdkids.com/

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, but glad you found the board. I hope you find it helpful.

Best wishes.
Hello,

Similar story to may others. My son 23, never had any signs, happy until may be 2 months ago. All of his friends went on vacation but he had to stay home.  Being very social he connected with who left and as I understood lately both transgender!. A few days ago mistaken call from the pharmacy alert me and my husband and we sat down and talked to him. He said he is depressed and he went to Planned Parenthood and they gave him HT. AFTER 1 hour with some doctor. My husband and I are pushing back but he already started it, stating how good his friends felt after they did it. We are trying to convince him to pause until he is evaluated by a trained professional but as much I read, I am not sure we can trust them.
If someone can help me find therapist in Boston area I will appreciate.
Our son is gay and came out to us about a year ago. He is turning 17 soon. We expressed our love and support for him and promised him that we will always love him even though we have religious convictions about the lifestyle. Our relationship with our son is the most important thing, and we want show him love no matter what.

Recently, his circle of friends are almost exclusive transgender. Whenever he talks about his freinds, we hardly know who they are anymore, because they have new names which makes parenting somewhat difficult. Some have identified as trans since we've known them and others have come out.

We have concerns about this rapid onset of changing gender identities, but work hard to remain respectful. I found this forum when scouring for resources. Some of his teen friends (we believe) are receiving hormonal treatments, puberty blockers, etc. This is not something that we readily support, but those are not our children.

Recently, our son asked to visit a therapist. Whether it's anxiety, depression, etc... We want to help him, but we're concerned an underlying motive is seeking a therapist who quickly supports and affirms self diagnosis of gender issues. He specifically asked for a therapist not affiliated with a (our) church.

But we do want to offer him help that he might need. Any recommendations for therapists in the Kansas City area?
I am looking for a therapist in the North Metro Atlanta, Ga area for my son who has identified as trans. We have thought for a long time he has ASD (Adult Spectrum Disorder) Please PM me any recommendations and I have activated my account so I think I can join the members only area, please advise if I am not in the correct area.
I never in my life thought I would be here looking for this information. Waiting for approval to join member board to ask for help with Therapists. 

Help!
(27-Aug-2022, 03:40 PM)Worryismymiddlename Wrote: I never in my life thought I would be here looking for this information. Waiting for approval to join member board to ask for help with Therapists. 

Help!

I'm sorry that you are feeling the need to be here, but glad you found us.

Your account has been activated. I hope you find the board helpful.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.