Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Joining The Support Board
Hi,
I registered and validated my email but can only see the public boards. How do I get full access?

Thank you in advance!
(05-Apr-2022, 02:50 PM)Tonia234 Wrote: Hi,
I registered and validated my email but can only see the public boards. How do I get full access?

Thank you in advance!

Hi, Tonia234. Welcome to the board.

All accounts are activated manually by a moderator for access to the members-only board.

Thanks for your patience. Your account has been activated.
Hello, waiting to be activated to the full member board. Thank you!
(13-Apr-2022, 09:33 PM)Kikisummers1 Wrote: Hello, waiting to be activated to the full member board.  Thank you!

Thanks for your patience, and welcome to the board. Your account has been activated.
Hello! Just letting you know I registered and am awaiting mod approval. Thank you very much.
Mom and Dad (really just Dad) just joined.  

2 nights ago our 17 yr old daughter wants to be a boy.  While shocked, we probably took the cues not strong enough.  (baggy clothing, cutting her hair off,  being highly ingrained in the LGBTQ movement.)    

The bad news.  She has has already come out with her friends over a year ago.  We are just catching up.   She has done all of the research, etc, and has made up her mind 90% (her words)

The good news is she has a new boyfriend, (who is gay apparently?)   It is the first real relationship she has had.  She is also beautiful (when she want to be) as a girl.  Meaning, and I dont know how to say this PC, so i apologize,   skinny, nice "proportions" beautiful face, etc, etc.  She is also a straight A student from a typical household.  Loving family with 3 kids, all close in age.  and she has friends.

I guess the reason why we are skeptical is because of her actions.  Dresses up with makeup, wears crop tops. puts in contacts.  All when she is going out with friends and wants to be noticed.  (Especially her boyfriend) who we have met.  Also she like to do girl stuff.  (Again, i know this isn't PC and don't want to gender assign)  sews, paints nails, etc, etc.  She doesn't do anything that you would expect from a boy.  

There is not a lot of resources out there that is not slanted.    I know the first step is to talk to her plainly and be supportive.  (If she really is trans, then fine, but all of the evidence and actions just don't jive)

The second step is to find a professional that she, us, and the rest of the family can talk to.  (We dont even know where to start)  What i am worried about is her having surgery and hormone treatments with out vetting 110%.  

It is going to be a process, for Mom and Dad, just aren't going to say ok without questioning.  (While being respectful and supportive)
(02-Jun-2022, 06:13 PM)DadandMom Wrote: Mom and Dad (really just Dad) just joined.  

2 nights ago our 17 yr old daughter wants to be a boy.  While shocked, we probably took the cues not strong enough.  (baggy clothing, cutting her hair off,  being highly ingrained in the LGBTQ movement.)    

The bad news.  She has has already come out with her friends over a year ago.  We are just catching up.   She has done all of the research, etc, and has made up her mind 90% (her words)

The good news is she has a new boyfriend, (who is gay apparently?)   It is the first real relationship she has had.  She is also beautiful (when she want to be) as a girl.  Meaning, and I dont know how to say this PC, so i apologize,   skinny, nice "proportions" beautiful face, etc, etc.  She is also a straight A student from a typical household.  Loving family with 3 kids, all close in age.  and she has friends.

I guess the reason why we are skeptical is because of her actions.  Dresses up with makeup, wears crop tops. puts in contacts.  All when she is going out with friends and wants to be noticed.  (Especially her boyfriend) who we have met.  Also she like to do girl stuff.  (Again, i know this isn't PC and don't want to gender assign)  sews, paints nails, etc, etc.  She doesn't do anything that you would expect from a boy.  

There is not a lot of resources out there that is not slanted.    I know the first step is to talk to her plainly and be supportive.  (If she really is trans, then fine, but all of the evidence and actions just don't jive)

The second step is to find a professional that she, us, and the rest of the family can talk to.  (We dont even know where to start)  What i am worried about is her having surgery and hormone treatments with out vetting 110%.  

It is going to be a process, for Mom and Dad, just aren't going to say ok without questioning.  (While being respectful and supportive)

Welcome.

I'm sorry yet another parent is having to deal with yet another kid who has come out as trans, suddenly and out of the blue.

It does sound like you are off to a good start as far as understanding what you are dealing with. You are correct that most resources are slanted toward the "affirmation only" approach. There's a podcast called "Gender: A Wider Lens" that offers lots of great information. It is often recommended as a place to start for parents in your position.

Be cautious when hiring a therapist or other professional. Most will immediately affirm. It can be very difficult to find one that is neutral. Some will even claim to be neutral when speaking with parents but will then secretly affirm when working with your child.

Your account has been activated. You'll find support from like-minded parents in the members-only area. Again, welcome. Best wishes.
Hello. I am joining the board to offer therapist resources. I would like to make sure I'm following the board's rules and doing it appropriately. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Hello, I am a parent (mother). I would like to join this forum, please. It is my first time ever seeking to join any sort of forum. Found this page through a Lisa Marchiano blog post. Our then 14 yo, now just turned 15 yo, as of 3 weeks ago is saying she’s wanting to be a boy and it came out of the blue with a likely influence of some other kids in her peer circle doing the same thing. Would like to join this forum.
(04-Jul-2022, 10:31 AM)DeJune Wrote: Hello. I am joining the board to offer therapist resources. I would like to make sure I'm following the board's rules and doing it appropriately. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hello, DeJune,

Your membership has been activated. I have a house full of company at the moment but will send you a PM later. In the meantime, feel free to read through some of our members-only threads and posts if you'd like to get acquainted with the memers-only area. 

We welcome any therapist who is willing to follow an exploratory approach rather than immediately affirming the child as trans.

Thank you for joining!

[quote pid='56042' dateline='1656934682']
Hello, I am a parent (mother). I would like to join this forum, please. It is my first time ever seeking to join any sort of forum. Found this page through a Lisa Marchiano blog post. Our then 14 yo, now just turned 15 yo, as of 3 weeks ago is saying she’s wanting to be a boy and it came out of the blue with a likely influence of some other kids in her peer circle doing the same thing. Would like to join this forum.
[/quote]

Hello, guest.

To join the forum, click on the word "register" in the black bar at the top of the page, then follow the prompts to join. Basically, the system asks you to enter your email address and choose a screen name. Then, you'll have to wait a bit as all accounts are manually activated by a moderator. This can take anywhere from an hour to most of the day depending upon moderator availablity. 

Welcome to the forum. You've found the right place to find support from and conversation with parents in similar situations to yours. Post back here if you have trouble joining or have any questions about the joining process.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.