Gender Critical Support Board
finding reliable medical practitioners - Printable Version

+- Gender Critical Support Board (https://gendercriticalresources.com/Support)
+-- Forum: Public (https://gendercriticalresources.com/Support/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: About Gender Critical Support (https://gendercriticalresources.com/Support/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: finding reliable medical practitioners (/showthread.php?tid=978)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - Frankie - 01-Jul-2021

(12-May-2021, 04:06 AM)Marge Bouvier Simpson Wrote:
(11-May-2021, 08:16 PM)Lion Wrote:
(07-May-2021, 04:29 PM)Frankie Wrote: Hi - I am looking for a therapist in the NYC metro area ( Jersey side ) for my child who just turned 14.  Five months ago my daughter declared she was trans.  She is now he and has a new name and is single minded in his/her desire for testosterone.  She also has ADHD, depression, anxiety and a handful of sensory issues.   I am looking for a clinician who is willing to neither affirm or deny the trans identity.  Also, we told our child we would seek guidance from a gender clinic.  Does anyone know which one has the longest waiting list?  Our goal is for our child to be who they need to be but get the benefit of a natural puberty and wait to make any medical interventions.  Thanks.
Hi Frankie,
Stay out of gender clinics if you can.  they tend to be run by very young inexperienced grad school students who are trained in 1 day by WPATH.  Find a CBT based therapist who can treat her for depression and anxiety (make it someone no-nonsense with a ton of experience) but bring up the trans issue first, say that you don't affirm it and that you suspect is her way of dealing with her difficulties, see if they will set it aside.  Your child is 14, tell her you cannot find a good gender clinic and take her to someone who can help her.  Also, find out what she's looking at online.

I agree with Lion. Stay far away from gender clinics. You will never find "a clinician who is willing to neither affirm or deny the trans identity" in a gender clinic. Unless your child tells the gender clinic that she is absolutely not trans, the gender clinic will only affirm and move her toward transition. Stay far away.
Thanks for those notes.  I am just seeing them now.  Just came from a horrific appointment with a pediatric endocrinologist.  It started out alright but when she said that puberty blockers were totally reversible I just started asking questions which devolved into me accusing the dr of violated her hippocratic oath and not practicing evidence based medicine.  My poor kid started crying.  Now I am home trying to repair my relationship with my kid and have gotten the kid to agree to read some of what I have studied.  ugh.

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - Sadmom2 - 02-Jul-2021

(01-Jul-2021, 07:31 PM)Frankie Wrote:
(12-May-2021, 04:06 AM)Marge Bouvier Simpson Wrote:
(11-May-2021, 08:16 PM)Lion Wrote:
(07-May-2021, 04:29 PM)Frankie Wrote: Hi - I am looking for a therapist in the NYC metro area ( Jersey side ) for my child who just turned 14.  Five months ago my daughter declared she was trans.  She is now he and has a new name and is single minded in his/her desire for testosterone.  She also has ADHD, depression, anxiety and a handful of sensory issues.   I am looking for a clinician who is willing to neither affirm or deny the trans identity.  Also, we told our child we would seek guidance from a gender clinic.  Does anyone know which one has the longest waiting list?  Our goal is for our child to be who they need to be but get the benefit of a natural puberty and wait to make any medical interventions.  Thanks.
Hi Frankie,
Stay out of gender clinics if you can.  they tend to be run by very young inexperienced grad school students who are trained in 1 day by WPATH.  Find a CBT based therapist who can treat her for depression and anxiety (make it someone no-nonsense with a ton of experience) but bring up the trans issue first, say that you don't affirm it and that you suspect is her way of dealing with her difficulties, see if they will set it aside.  Your child is 14, tell her you cannot find a good gender clinic and take her to someone who can help her.  Also, find out what she's looking at online.

I agree with Lion. Stay far away from gender clinics. You will never find "a clinician who is willing to neither affirm or deny the trans identity" in a gender clinic. Unless your child tells the gender clinic that she is absolutely not trans, the gender clinic will only affirm and move her toward transition. Stay far away.
Thanks for those notes.  I am just seeing them now.  Just came from a horrific appointment with a pediatric endocrinologist.  It started out alright but when she said that puberty blockers were totally reversible I just started asking questions which devolved into me accusing the dr of violated her hippocratic oath and not practicing evidence based medicine.  My poor kid started crying.  Now I am home trying to repair my relationship with my kid and have gotten the kid to agree to read some of what I have studied.  ugh.
That must have been hard, but good for you.  I think the last thing we need to do is sit back and take it.  The fear and intimidation tactics need to stop.

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - rotn60 - 02-Jul-2021

Hello- hope I’m posting this correctly- my husband and I are desperate to find a new therapist for our 14 year old daughter who says she is transgender.  We all like her current counselor but it’s looking like this person follows the gender-affirming model which is exactly what we don’t want.  We live near Indianapolis but are willing to drive wherever, even out of state if necessary.  Our daughter has been having her sessions over Zoom so that would work as well.  Thank you!

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - barvanis - 05-Jul-2021

Hello everyone!
I am new here and I am not sure if I a posting my question in the right place.
I am looking for a good therapist that can help my daughter in Florida. I am devastated.
I appreciate your input.
Cordially

(03-Apr-2018, 01:55 AM)chebj064 Wrote: I have a 17 years old daughter who is determined to start hormone treatment once she's in college, and will try to have surgery asap. She changed her name to a boy's name when she was 14 years old, and I didn't realize how serious the problem was back then. Now I'm so worried, and I'm looking for a therapist in Washington DC area (including Maryland and Virgina),  who can help me convince her to wait until later in her life to make such decisions.
I am in the same situation, my daughter never expressed she was trans until I approached her two months ago. All of a sudden she wants hormones. She is almost 21. I just found by a friend she is called another name at work and society. This is devastating and the lack of support is horrible.

(29-Mar-2018, 08:10 PM)tamara Wrote: MODERATOR EDIT: If you are seeking therapist recommendations, please join this forum as a member; once your membership is activated, please post your request in our members-only forum. Once you have joined the forum, you will be able to send and receive private messages (PMs) from fellow members -- and this is the preferred method of exchanging therapist information. Due to privacy considerations, we are no longer posting therapist names on the forum.

To join the board, click on "join" in the black bar at the top of the page and follow the prompts. Please know that before new members can access the members-only forums, all memberships must be manually activated by a moderator, and this can take anywhere from an hour to a day. Your patience is necessary and appreciated. Thank you.

Now back to Tamara's post:

I have a fourteen-year old who started to have sudden onset gender dysphoria at age thirteen along with identifying from that time as a trans guy. My teen has a set of other issues as well, particularly anxiety attacks and depression. I would like to find a psychiatrist in the Denver metro area who could work with these other issues and consider whether to recommend antidepressants. A psychologist or analyst who would be committed to discussing possible non-medical ways of dealing with the dysphoria, depression, and anxiety would also be helpful. I am very concerned about what I have heard about hormones and surgeries being recommended to teens, and would like to avoid health care practitioners who would steer my teen in that direction. Does anybody know of reliable psychiatrists or other health care practitioners in the Denver metro area? On a broader note, what experiences have you all had with helping a trans identified teen with anxiety, depression, and gender dysphoria, and have you found medical practitioners who were committed to examining other avenues than referrals to clinics for hormones and surgeries?  
Hello everyone!
I am new here and I am not sure if I a posting my question in the right place.
I am looking for a good therapist that can help my daughter in Florida. I am devastated.
I appreciate your input.
Cordially

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - Katbezel2 - 05-Jul-2021

Hello,  I’m searching for a therapist in the Phoenix area for my daughter who initially came out trans and is now identifying as transgender. I’m having a hard time finding a therapist for her.  Thank you.

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - crayon3w - 09-Jul-2021

Hi everyone. I live in Massachusetts. My 14yo son came out as transgender a few months ago. We sent him to his pediatrician and then a therapist who both are affirming. The only thing my husband and I agree on is that my son will not really benefit from puberty blockers because he's already half way through puberty. My husband wants a referral to the gender clinic in Boston but I'm really against it. I'm afraid they will just push the blockers anyways and then we start the path to cross sex hormones. I need a different option. Anyone have a therapist in the Mass/Rhode Island area that isn't just affirming.

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - Lion - 11-Jul-2021

crayon3w,
RI is almost impossible. Do not go to Hasbro Children's by all means, and if you can stay out of Boston's Children do. They were one of the first to adopt the dutch protocol. I think your son is better off staying out of therapy than getting into it with someone bad. I know there is a somatic therapy institute there which may be able to help him reconnect with his body. Look them up and call and ask, ask, ask about their stance on GD. There is also the Internal Family Systems meths to try as per Sasha Ayad, there are a few in Mass and RI: https://ifs-institute.com

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - JennyY - 13-Jul-2021

(05-Jul-2021, 10:20 PM)Katbezel2 Wrote: Hello,  I’m searching for a therapist in the Phoenix area for my daughter who initially came out trans and is now identifying as transgender. I’m having a hard time finding a therapist for her.  Thank you.

have you had any luck? I’m looking in the Phoenix area too.

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - Mafalda1970 - 23-Jul-2021

Hi, I am looking for a therapist in the area of Cambridge, Massachusetts. My daughter is 19 so is legally and adult. She is working with a therapist right now but she told us the ROGD surpassed her. She is willing to keep talking to her until we find someone else. Can someone please help me? Thank you so much!

RE: finding reliable medical practitioners - JennyH1963 - 30-Jul-2021

Hi! I am in the Chicago area looking for a therapist for my 16 year old daughter who is struggling with ROGD. We had an appointment at the Lurie gender questioning clinic which I canceled after finding these resources! Thanks! Does anyone have any recommendations as to a therapist; she prefers a female because she’s “intimidated” by men (her words.)
Thanks!